Sunday, March 27, 2011

Great day for a walk behind the house

Took a long walk behind the house today. As usual for this time of year it was very wet... With my Rubber knee high boots I walked for about two hours exploring most of the acreage. The ponds directly behind my house had a dozen Hooded Mergansers and 1 pair of Ring-necked Ducks. There were a couple dozen Song Sparrows. Tree Sparrows are still around in good numbers. I flushed 4 Wilson's Snipe and 1 Woodcock today. The Snipe has an interesting call note when flushed. I have never heard it before. I have only seen them doing there courtship flight or silently feeding from a distance. I will not forget it. The Northern Harrier that I have seen all winter was making his loop around the fields. I would love to get a picture of it in flight. An awesome looking male. I know I keep complaining about not having my zoom, but I saw my first Eastern Phoebe of the year, on a branch 8 feet away from me and it sat perfectly still in the bright sunlight.... Arrrrgh!!  I pair of Golden Crowned Kinglets working the tree tops on the back edge of the property where all the pines are. In the large pond off of 25 mile rd there were 50+ Mallards, a few Black Ducks and half dozen Hooded Mergansers. Tons of Bluebirds and at least a gazillion Red-winged Blackbirds.. yes gazillion is a word.  Found a possible fox den with fresh activity and put the trail camera on it..... Chorus Frogs were singing everywhere... 


I love spring......

No comments:

Post a Comment