Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fall Migration is beginning.....

Reports are starting to come in that shorebirds are beginning to move into the area as they begin there journey south... Least Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs were both at the pond behind Walmart on Hall Rd in Clinton Twp.... I finally got over to Lk. St. Clair Metropark on Monday and saw a couple of Black-crowned Night Herons (213).  I checked the little ponds near Selfridge Air force base and they were empty, but I did manage to photograph a nice looking American Kestrel on the wire... Today I took a walk behind the house... I came upon a Spotted Sandpiper that was allowing me some good opportunities for close up shots... Just as I was about to take a picture, a young Sandpiper stood up next to his parent... I snapped a quick shot, and just then, the Adult took off and left the youngster, who freaked out and ran toward a ditch with a bunch of muck and plastic garbage... I could hear the adult off in the distance by the pond, but I was concerned for the little one because the area he was running to was a garbage pit.... So, I plucked up the little one and walked over to the pond where its parent was, and let it down and it quickly joined both of its parents.....  Then I got out of there.... Not the best situation, but I am glad it turned out ok.... I did get one little cell phone pic before I  put the little one down....   click photos to enlarge

American Kestrel

Spotted Sandpiper




Indigo Bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment