Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Leucistic Songbird at Wetzel

I went birding at Wetzel State Park tonite with Kevin Rysiewski... There were a decent number of shorebirds in the various ponds... We had Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper and of course, Killdeer.... Plenty of Green Herons about....

Highlight of the evening was a Leucistic bird that we seen toward the end of the evening... The sun was beginning to set and the lighting was not good... I saw a bird fly across the path... I turned and looked at Kevin and said, "hey, a white bird just flew over the path".... Kevin probaly thought I was crazy... we continued walking when all of a sudden the white bird flew in front of us along the pond, sitting in the reeds and the bushes surrounding the pond.... I managed to get a few pics.... Quality is poor because it was dark and shaded, but looking at the tail and its bill, I am going with Bobolink.... Please feel free to leave your guess in the comments..... Very cool way to end a nice evening of birding.....click on photos to enlarge...


No comments:

Post a Comment