Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Acadian Flycatcher - Finally

I have seen Willow, Alder, Least and Yellow-bellied Flycatchers this spring.... I seem to be the only one in my birding circles not to have seen an Acadian.... No worry, I knew exactly where I would find one... They have bred at Stoney Creek on the trails at West Branch picnic area for the last few years.... I always find them there in June.... I am working on a Macomb County list this year, so West Branch is out because it falls on the Oakland County side of the park.... The Habitat Trail behind the Nature Ctr at Stoney has some habitat that looks perfect for Acadian Flycatchers (210)... So I had planned to walk the 2.4 mile trail this month and hopefully find one..... As I was walking thru an area of mature woods with a little bit of a boggy area, I was hoping to hear one calling... It was quiet and the canopy was so thick that it looked like sunset at 6pm.... As the trail was about to lead me out of the woods, I hear the familiar Pit-see!!!   It took a couple of minutes to locate the bird, but I found the Acadian Flycatcher sitting on a branch.... he was there long enough for me to snap a quick photo and then he was gone.... very cool......  I also found a Yellow-throated Vireo behind the nature center along the trail that connects the beginning and the end of the habitat trail.... It was a nice walk with multiple Red-eyed Vireos, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Scarlet Tanager, Warbling Vireo, Pileated Woodpecker, Indigo Buntings and several Eastern Bluebirds.... Great-crested Flycatchers and Eastern Wood Pewees were calling overhead.... on the way out of the park, I came across a flock of Wild Turkeys at their usual spot near the park headquarters.....

I also got a chance to meet Dr. Bob and his wife tonight at the Osprey Trail.... They were there in the parking lot with Kevin Rysiewski.... I stopped and chatted for a minute.... Its so nice to put a face with a name..... click on photos to enlarge
Acadian Flycatcher

Yellow-throated Vireo

Eastern Bluebird

No comments:

Post a Comment