Monday, January 2, 2012

Stoney today....

Today I chose Stoney as my birding spot... on the way there I spotted a Sharp-shinned hawk munching on a sparrow on 28mi rd near Wolcott Rd... There also was a large flock of Wild Turkeys at Kuntsman and 29 mi on the Air Strip.... Stoney had a large raft of Common Mergansers... I would estimate 2000... there were also Common Goldeneye and a couple of Hooded Mergansers... I also saw Tundra and Trumpeter swans near the Baypointe beach side... An Imm Bald Eagle soared above the lake near the North Bridge where a group of 8 Hooded Mergansers floated by... The cool bird of the day was a Red-headed Woodpecker that flew right in front of my Jeep on the road to the Nature Center, near the Osprey Trail.... I found that the best place to scope the waterfowl today was at the Southdale Picnic Area.....climb down the hill and right on the shoreline I was directly across from most of the ducks.... The feeders were active at the nature center with many Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Dark-eyed Juncos, White-breasted Nuthatch and one Hairy Woodpecker....   MC list at 45....

No comments:

Post a Comment