Thursday, May 5, 2011

No time for serious birding... just a walk behind the house

Took a walk behind the house at 730pm tonight.... Still very wet.... ponds are more full than I have seen them in the last couple of years... I don't mind because by July 1st, most wet areas will be dried up and there will be no more shorebirds... I saw a couple of Solitary Sandpipers (they nest here), several Spotted Sandpipers (also a nester), a pair of Northern Shovelors, tons of Savannah Sparrows, a Wilsons Snipe and one Woodcock... Still slow for spring migrants....

The pair of Tree Swallows nesting in my Bluebird house are about to lay eggs... She has been building the nest for over a week and it is now lined with feathers...The Male stands guard over the house from the top of my children's play scape.... When I peaked in the box tonight, she was not to happy with me and almost pecked my head... then she sat right on top of the box at just over 6 feet away.... They are very protective.... Cowbirds have been hanging out near the box for several days and I will be curious if they try to take advantage of the nest and lay there own eggs... we will see...click to enlarge..
Savannah Sparrow

Northern Shoveler

Solitary Sandpiper

Solitary Sandpiper

Mr. Tree Swallow

Mrs. Tree Swallow

No comments:

Post a Comment