Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stoney Creek - Pileated Woodpecker and Struttin Turkeys

On 26 mile Rd today I noticed a Truck pulled over and the driver staring at something on the side of the road.... As I drove nearer, I see this big Tom Wild Turkey in full display.... He was funny... He couldn't care less who was watching him.... He kept turning his back side to me and showing me his feathers.... a couple of Hens stood by.....

I also found a Pileated Woodpecker on the West Branch Trail of Stoney Creek Metropark... First time I have seen them in the park.... He was at the base of tree and pounding so loud it sounded like someone taking a sludge hammer to wood.... I slowly sneaked up on him in the rain and was able to snap a couple of picks through the underbrush until he noticed me sliding down the ravine.... I also walked on the trail where I know Acadian Flycatchers nest.... It didn't take long before the familiar PitSee!! could be heard.... I found him after a few minutes and with some quiet stalking got near enough to snap a couple of picks.... Wish I had better ones of his belly, but I like the wingbars.... A Scarlet Tanager foraged nearby and was eating insects on a log as well as a few other migrants....

Tom - Wild Turkey
Ovenbird

Scarlet Tanager eating Beatle

Scarlet Tanager
Pileated Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker
Acadian Flycatcher


Great Crested Flycatcher

Swainsons Thrush

No comments:

Post a Comment