Sunday, February 5, 2012

Lesser Black-backed Gull 1st Winter

Took another run to Stoney Creek Metropark today to check out the Lesser Black-backed Gull that was found yesterday morning... I bumped into Kevin R and Jerry L and we observed the Gull together. After getting home yesterday, I wasn't a hundred percent sure that that was the Gull... I looked at it rather quickly, I was by myself... and I wanted to be sure... So armed with all that I read last night and the many photos I looked at on the web, I went back... I am now sure that this is the Gull (74)... In addition to being much smaller than a Herring Gull, the head neck and throat are much lighter than the rest of the breast.. there is a hint of a circle around the eye when its head is in a certain position. almost looks like a smudge area.  The scapulars were boarded with white,  although not as much as some of the comparison photos I was using, but definitely more than the 1st winter Herring gull... the tail is very black, and I got a chance to see the bird with wings and tail fully expanded... The bill is black... the legs were a pinkish color, although not the same as the herring gulls that were around it... kinda of an unique color... Anyways, a great bird...

There also was a Double-crested Cormorant (75) on the lake sitting with the Geese... He sat there for about an hour and then took off and circled the lake a few times and disappeared...

We had a Cackling Goose still on the lake... My zoom wouldn't go that far so I used my Iphone and snapped a picture thru my scope... I size comparison is pretty obvious... cute little fellow....

Drove 28 mile home and down Broughton Rd... nothing to report except for the same Kestrel at 26mi and Luchman Rd.... right near my sub.... I see him every day....
Iphone Digiscoping... Cackling Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment