Saturday, February 4, 2012

Wasn't planning on birding today, but then again... Lesser Black-backed Gulls dont show up every day

I worked most of the day... I looked at my email at 345pm and saw a posting from Brian McGee that he found a Lesser Black-backed Gull 1st Winter at Stoney... One was seen a couple of days before and I did not want to miss this one, so I got off the couch and headed that way.... Gulls are not my strongest suit and this one was sitting on the ice quite a distance away... even with my scope, it was a challenging ID.... The black bill was easily seen and unlike the 1st winter Herring Gull, the head and neck area appeared lighter in color... the tail was black and there was more streaking on the breast than a smudgy pattern.... I feel confident on making the call, but I would love to have a better photograph.... I might try again in the morning, and if its still near bay point beach area, I may hike over there and attempt a photo from that side of the lake... I will call it a county bird for the year when I have a decent photo to back up putting it on my list... 

At the nature center I easily found the Common Redpolls (73)... There were 4 of them and they were calling from the trees above the feeders... I managed one decent picture before the 4 flew off toward the creek...

No comments:

Post a Comment