Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Up North.....

I haven't posted on my blog in quite a few days... I have been sick.. my cold turned into Pneumonia, so birding has been non existent.... However, I did head up north Monday with my two boys to hang out in Glen Arbor for a few days... We stayed at my friends cabin that sits on top of Miller Hill overlooking Glen Lake... best view around.... When we first arrived on Monday, we were greeted with the sight of Bald Eagles riding the thermals along the hill side, above and below the cabin... Unfortunately I was not able to get a photo of the Adults as they flew by, but I managed a few of the Juvenile Bald Eagle.... On this trip I saw 6 Eagles.... they are amazing... I could watch them all day long.... click on photos to enlarge



Today, we left Glen Arbor and headed to my Uncle and Aunts home in Alpena for a visit... they have this awesome log cabin home tucked into the middle of a cedar swamp.... Its very cool back in the pines... They have a number of feeders and the amount of birds in their yard is amazing... besides the Pileated Woodpecker that visits the suet daily (of course, it doesn't show when I am there...), they had Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, both species of Nuthatches, a million Chickadees and a large flock of Pine Siskins moving thru the tree tops...
Pine Siskin

Red-breasted Nuthatch with Black-capped Chickadee

White-Breasted Nuthatch staring me down...

Now he's giving me the cold shoulder
shot this with my Iphone thru the window.. thats why its soft. However a great example of the size difference between a Downy Woodpecker and the larger Hairy Woodpecker

Red-Breasted Nuthatch in Suet Feeder

No comments:

Post a Comment