Friday, March 9, 2012

Austin Texas - Work trip, but I managed a little birding..

Just got back from Austin Texas... I had to go down there to our headquarters for some training... The only day that I had time to get out in the light and do some birding was Sunday... although I managed a few minutes at the headquarters today before heading to the airport.  The Hotel that I stayed in had a 60 acre nature area behind it.... most of it was a canyon covered in oak and mesquite... very cool area with one trail.... I was hoping to see some winter visitors while in Austin, but the area seems in transition between winter birds leaving and spring birds arriving....  I found Carolina Chickadees, Bewicks Wren, Great-tailed Grackles, White-winged Doves, Ruby crowned kinglet, Yellow rumped Warblers, Oranged Crowned Warblers, 1 White eyed Vireo and some Lesser Goldfinch.... On the highways to and from the training center I spied Turkey and Black Vultures, Red-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawks... Today as I walked the grounds at the training center before heading to the airport, I found another Bewicks Wren and several Black-crested Titmouse, a lifer for me.... click on photos to enlarge...
Great-Tailed Grackle

Orange-crowned Warbler (nice shadow... arrgh!)


Orange-crowned Warbler
White-winged Dove

Black-crested Titmouse

Black-crested Titmouse

No comments:

Post a Comment