Sunday, March 11, 2012

Wetzel State Park

Spent the morning birding at Wetzel with Kevin Rysiewski.. It started off a little slow... the first couple of ponds didn't hold much in the way of ducks.... American Wigeon and a few Ring-necked Ducks in the first pond off of 27 mile rd...  The pond thru the woods behind the Model Airplane flyzone contained almost nothing but a few Mallards.... It was looking pretty bleak... Then as we approached the ponds that run parallel with Werderman Rd, a flock of several hundred Ducks irrupted into the air as a Hawk flew by... (we didn't identify it, as it quickly flew into the trees and was gone).. I don't recall ever seeing a flock as large as this directly over my head.... it was amazing.... the ducks settled down and landed in the first pond... I scoped them and the majority were Redheads with Ring-necked, Canvasback, Ruddy, Lesser Scaup and Mallards mixed in...
I was surprised that I did not see any Blue-winged Teal today... I expect them soon... Also no Grebes of any kind could be found... I still dont have a Ring-necked Pheasant for the year... thats ridiculous...

A pleasant surprise this morning was one Brewers Blackbird.... Toward the end of the morning, a lone black bird without a nice red patch on the wing flew by... just as it came close to Kevin and I it began singing.... Yes!! Brewers Blackbird!!! (91) Not one I see all the time in my Macomb birding spots...  Tried to get close to it so I could photograph it, but it was gone...

With the onset of warmer weather I expect a number of birds to come in this week.... I love spring migration.....

No comments:

Post a Comment