Thursday, March 22, 2012

Wetzel at Dawn...

I went to Wetzel State Park at daybreak today.... I was concerned that it would be too foggy... it wasn't.. the fog quickly lifted with the sun rising... I wasn't the first to arrive at the Park... I chuckled when I pulled up and saw Kevin's car in the parking lot... early birders get the bird... something like that... We birded together for about an hour before I had to go  to work....

Highlights of the day for me were Ring-necked Pheasant (106), Savannah Sparrow(107) and Great Egret (108)... I heard the Ring-necked Pheasant calling as soon as I hit the trail.... this has been a bird that has eluded me so far this year, so I was glad to hear the Rooster call several times over the course of an hour... The Great Egret was located in the large ponds off to the side of Werderman Rd... I snapped some photos as it took off, but not good quality so I wont post... I love egrets..... As Kevin and I were circling the pond, I thought I heard the first few notes of a Savannah Sparrow singing.... It was loud with all the Red-winged Blackbirds singing, but I was sure that is what I heard.... a minute later, one emerged from the fields and landed on the path in front of us... I usually don't have this bird until the beginning of April.... everything seems about a week early this year...
Red-tailed Hawk

Rusty Blackbird

Rusty Blackbird

Savannah Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Wetzel State Park

No comments:

Post a Comment