Friday, April 6, 2012

Greater Yellowlegs - Wetzel State Park

On a tip today (Thanks Tom!)  I headed out to Wetzel on the way home from work... my target was to find the Greater Yellowlegs (117) that was seen earlier on the pond north of 27 mi rd.... I found the bird quickly.... it was sitting on a clump of mud in the middle of the pond.... Initially it was standing next to a Killdeer and it made me chuckle to see how small the Killdeer looked compared to this big Sandpiper... It took off, calling its Tew Tew Tew call as it flew... an added bonus was the Northern Rough-winged Swallow (118) flying over the same pond....  Waterfowl numbers have lessened but Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy Duck, Bufflehead, Lesser Scaup and one female Common Merganser could still be found... 1 Great Egret flew over as an American Kestrel hunted in the fields near me... I saw a Savannah Sparrow in the same location as the one I had recently photographed... Rusty Blackbirds are still around in the area north of the parking lot off of 27 mi Rd....

Also made a stop at stoney creek... not much to report on the lake, but I did manage to see 4 Horned Grebes and several Yellow-rumped Warblers moving thru the tree tops near Eastwood beach...
Greater Yellowlegs

Greater Yellowlegs


Horned Grebe

Horned Grebe

Yellow-rumped Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment