Friday, April 13, 2012

Vesper Sparrow and Yellowlegs....

My target when I got out of bed this morning was to find a Vesper Sparrow(125)... Work ended in Romeo this afternoon, so I decided that I would cruise thru the farmland of Northern Macomb County until I reached my home in the 26 mile area... I stopped every quarter mile or so when the habitat looked good, and listened for a Vesper Singing.... It only took about 5 miles (LOL) before I heard one on Kuntsman Rd and 29 mile... It was sitting in an Oak on the edge of a field that is used as a runway for a Skydiving plane.... It sang for a bit and then descended into the field and foraged not to far from me...

Next stop was to Macomb Corners Park where I had seen Lesser Yellowlegs the night before while walking with my wife... I did not have my binoculars or my camera, so I went back to look for and photograph the Sandpipers... Now the dilemma... One has a shorter bill, one has a longer bill... It was hard to tell size from across the marsh/mud flat.... although they appeared smaller.... I got home and looked at my pictures and there is a noticeable difference in the bills.... Hmmmm, interesting.... (update: general consensus among those I consulted is that they were indeed Lesser Yellowlegs.)

I also spotted a Spotted Sandpiper (126) today in a little pond near 21 mile Rd and I-94... first of the year for this bird.... they have not arrived behind the house yet.....



Vesper Sparrow

Vesper Sparrow

Vesper Sparrow

Spotted Sandpiper

Spotted Sandpiper

No comments:

Post a Comment