Friday, May 25, 2012

202 Species.... Goal met for year.. wait, plenty of year left!!

     A few days ago I saw a couple of Semipalmated Sandpipers (200) at the wetland area behind Wallmart on Hall Rd.... I realized after I came home today and looked thru my ebird that I had forgot to include the Willow Flycatcher that I had photographed on May 19th to my Ebird sightings... So that means that the Semipalmated Sandpipers that I thought were my 199th species were actually my 200th.... Ooops.... Today at Lake St. Clair Metropark I got my 201st of the year with a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher on the Meadow loop trail.... Kevin Rysiewski called me and told me that a couple of them had been seen in the park.... I got there this afternoon and Kevin was waiting for me.... He took me to the location  where he had seen it, and sure enough it was moving thru the trees near the entrance to the meadow... Sweet!!!  We then looked for the Yellow-breasted Chat that had been seen earlier in the day with  no luck.... On to the Service Rd where Kevin had seen a male Connecticut Warbler... We had no luck but we did manage to see a Canada Warbler and hear a Mourning Warbler call from the thickets near the end of the road... Above us I heard a Vireo calling.... Sweet!! A Philadelphia Vireo (202) calling from the tree tops.... He moved back and forth in the cottonwoods and finally bolted out of sight.....  On the way out, we tried again for the Chat, except this time Tom was with us.... no luck again.... it was getting very hot... As the three of us discussed our goal of 200 birds for Macomb County, I found it very cool that Kevin, Tom and I had already achieved our goal for 200 species for the county so early in the year..  I was also reminded that I had told my fellow birding compadres that when we all reached 200 the beer was on me..... 30 minutes later, we were all enjoying a nice cold one.... and planning the rest of the year.... the next 20 birds are gonna be challenging..... 220 sounds like a nice number!!!!!!



My should get list for the rest of the year...
Acadian Flycatcher
Common Nighthawk
Common Tern
Northern Pintail
Snow Goose
Black-crowned Night Heron

Highly Probable
Alder Flycatcher
Willet
White-rumped Sandpiper
Sanderling
American Bittern
Grasshopper Sparrow
Rough-legged Hawk
Short and Long Billed Dowitcher
Ruddy Turnstone
Western Sandpiper
Yellow-billed Cuckooo
Whip poor Will

My thanks to Tom Heatley, Kevin Rysiewski and Brian Mcgee for helping me get to this number.... rest of the year should be fun....

No comments:

Post a Comment