Thursday, May 3, 2012

Hot Day...... afternoon birding

When I got off of work I hit three spots today.... I spent about an hour at Metrobeach.... Not much behind the Nature Ctr at this time of day, but the Maple Woods still had good activity... a Pied-billed Grebe was in the little pond area near the first bridge... I saw Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Northern Parula (162), Am Redstart (163), Northern Waterthrush and Nashville Warblers.... I peeked in at the banding station and was able to see a Lincoln Sparrow and Black-throated Blue in hand... cant count them for my county list, but I love seeing the birds up close...  On the Middle trail I spied a Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the lower canopy and a Veery(164)along the path.... Overhead I heard a familiar song.... two Red-headed Woodpeckers chasing each other way up high....  next stop...

At Macomb Corners Park I saw my first Eastern Kingbird(165) of the year.... In the pond were Solitary and Spotted Sanpipers as well as Lesser Yellowlegs.... I noticed some little birds way out in the middle and was pleased to look thru my binoculars and see 5 American Pipits on the mud flat.... On the way back to my car I shot a cool photo of a Warbling Vireo singing over my head...

Pulled into Wolcott Mills Metropark for a quick listen of the fields.... I am awaiting the return of Bobolinks that breed there.... Not today, but in the park entrance I heard the familiar buzz beee of a Blue-winged Warbler(166).... Same Spot every year...  

click to enlarge photos
Warbling Vireo

Veery

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Pied-billed Grebe

American Pipit

American Redstart

Red-headed Woodpecker

Solitary Sandpiper

Lesser Yellowlegs

No comments:

Post a Comment